Vegan Gyros: A Plant-Based Twist on a Greek Classic
Please note this post may contain affiliate links.
This vegan gyro recipe replaces chicken with shredded tofu for a plant-based twist on a classic Greek dish. Quick, easy, and packed with fresh Mediterranean flavor, this recipe from my friend and fellow foodie influencer @sezzy.brown is sure to become a crowd favorite. Serve with pita bread, tzatziki, and fresh toppings for a satisfying handheld meal!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Gyros
- Quick and easy to make: This recipe takes just 20 minutes from start to finish, making it a perfect midweek dinner option.
- Packed with flavor: The blend of herbs and spices used in this recipe gives the tofu a Mediterranean twist that’s simply delicious.
- Healthy and filling: Tofu is a great source of protein, and this dish is loaded with fresh vegetables, making it a healthy and satisfying meal.
- Shredded Tofu: This is the star of the show and is used as a replacement for chicken in this recipe. Shredding tofu is easy and can be done with a regular vegetable grater, check out my more detailed description below!
- Greek Yogurt: This is used to make the creamy tzatziki sauce. If you’re vegan, be sure to use a plant-based Greek yogurt.
- Herbs and Fresh Veggies: Fresh dill, mint, and oregano are used to add flavor to the tofu, while lemon juice and cucumber add a tangy touch to the tzatziki sauce.
How to Shred Tofu
Shredding tofu is such a great vegan hack! All that extra surface area means more room for flavour, plus the texture seems less spongey in smaller pieces. To shred tofu, you must use extra firm tofu, otherwise it will fall apart. To get the best results, before shredding, press the tofu for 10-20 minutes to remove excess moisture. To press tofu, place the block in between two clean kitchen towels, and stack something heavy on top to weigh it down. I like to use a large chopping board and heavy cooking books. Pressing the tofu will make it more dense and give it an even meatier texture. Once you’ve pressed the tofu, simply use a vegetable grater to shred the tofu into thin strips, just as you would with a carrot or other veggies. It’s that simple!
- Herbs – If you don’t have fresh dill and mint, you can use dried herbs instead, although they won’t impart as much flavour. Just use a small pinch of each at first, then taste test and add more to your taste.
- Pita bread – If you don’t have pita bread, you can use flatbread or for a super low carb option, wrap the ingredients in a lettuce leaf instead.
It is not recommended to use soft or silken tofu for this recipe as it has a different texture and will fall apart and turn to mush if you try to shred it. Extra firm tofu is essential to be shredded and hold its shape when cooked.
These vegan gyros will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (but of course, taste best when eaten fresh!) Store the tofu and tzatziki in separate containers and assemble the gyros just before serving.
Gyros are a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie and served in a pita bread with vegetables and sauce. Kebab refers to a Middle Eastern dish made of marinated meat, vegetables or fruit that is cooked on skewers and served in a pita bread or on a plate.
A traditional Greek gyro contains meat (typically pork, chicken, or beef), vegetables like tomato and onion, and a sauce like tzatziki, wrapped in a pita bread.
These vegan gyros are the perfect handheld meal, packed with fresh Mediterranean flavors and all the plant-based protein your body needs. Plus, they’re super quick and easy to make! If you have any leftovers, wrap them up for a tasty lunch the next day. I can’t wait to hear what you think, so don’t be shy, leave a comment below 🙂
Shredded Tofu 'Chicken'
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600 g extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt plant-based
- 1/2 bunch fresh dill finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cucumber finely grated
- pinch of salt to taste
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 red onion halved, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 4 pita bread
Shredded Tofu 'Chicken'
- Optional: if you have time, press the tofu for 10-20 minutes. To do this, place the tofu on paper towel or a clean, non-fluffy tea towel and weigh it down with a chopping board and some heavy objects (a heavy cast iron dish or cook books work nicely).
- Shred the tofu using a vegetable grater. Transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl and combine with soy sauce, oregano and thyme.
- Heat olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Pan fry the tofu until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finely grate cucumber and squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible using your hands. Finely chop dill and mint.
- Combine cucumber, yoghurt and all other ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Slice tomato, onion and cucumber.
- To serve, heat pita bread. Spread a dollop of tzatziki in the centre then top remaining toppings plus the shredded tofu. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Can’t believe I hadn’t tried shredding tofu until now… thank you
This was phenomenal! Shredded tofu FTW!
Liz Douglas says
Yay! Shredded tofu is life!!
Delish! Thanks for including the nutritional info, I really struggle getting my protein in – so being able to plan out in advance is so helpful x
Tiffany Castle says
I didn’t know you can use shredded tofu without baking. I NEVER put on the oven (energy prices), so I’m really happy to learn this.