Vegan French Onion Soup
- 75 g vegan butter or margarine
- 1 kg brown onions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- sourdough bread sliced
- 75 g vegan cheese that melts
- Peel, halve and thinly slice onions.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- When the butter begins to foam, add onions and stir well to coat them in the butter.
- Reduce the heat to low and caramelise the onions. This can take 30 minutes - stir only occasionally, or as often as needed to prevent burning. Add a small splash of water if needed. The onions should be a dark brown and taste very sweet.
- Once the onions are done, add wine to deglaze the pot. Increase heat to medium and stir thoroughly until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and and stir well to combine for 1 minute.
- Add stock, bay leaves, thyme and stir. Cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the soup is done, slice sourdough and top with cheese. Melt under oven grill/broiler to melt cheese.
- Ladle soup into bowls and place the cheesey bread on top, eat immediately.