Sweet & Spicy Orange Tofu
- 2 oranges large
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, muddled in a splash of water
- vegetable oil for cooking
- 600g extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- cooked white rice
- Dice tofu into large cubes (approx 3cm).
- In a large bowl, mix cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and cracked pepper.
- Add tofu to bowl and coat with dry mixture. Use hands to mix well and ensure all cubes are coated evenly.
- Heat a generous lug of oil in a fry pan over high heat.
- Add tofu and fry on all sides until golden and crispy.
- Place cooked tofy onto paper towel to absorb any excess oil and set aside while you prepare the orange sauce.
- Finely grate the oranges skins and reserve the zest.
- Juice the oranges.
- Heat a lug of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli flakes, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, 3/4 of the orange zest, sugar, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add green beans to sauce and cook for a further 1 minute before adding the cornstarch mix.
- Once the cornstarch is combined, add the tofu and stir until coated.
- Serve immediately over white rice. Top with the remaining orange zest.