A balanced but hearty vegan roast dinner! Earthy flavours from the pumpkin and walnuts contrast nicely with the sharp salty tofu feta and balsamic walnuts.
Hearty Roast Pumpkin with Balsamic Walnuts and Tofu Feta
- 1/4 kent pumpkin (medium size, enough for 6 wedges)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 300 g walnuts
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 450 g firm tofu
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup verjuice*
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 200 g spinach, wilted
- balsamic glaze
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Press tofu. To do this, drain tofu, then wrap it in paper towel or a non-fluffy (and clean!) tea towel. Place the wrapped tofu in between two chopping boards, and weigh it down with a heavy object (I use a cast iron pot or some big cooking books).
- While tofu is pressing, slice pumpkin into 6 wedges. In a roasting tray, coat each slice in olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until soft and with some brown highlights.
- Mix miso paste with white wine to form a smooth paste.
- Combine miso and wine mixture with all other tofu feta ingredients to form a marinade. Pour into a large shallow tray.
- Remove tofu from under weighted chopping board, and dice into 2cm cubes.
- Add tofu cubes to marinade. Stir the tofu so all sides are coated before leaving it in one single layer. Leave to absorb for around 30 minutes. You can also make this the night before if preferred - more time, more flavour.
- To make the balsamic walnuts, combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times until it has broken down into chunks.
- When pumpkin is almost done, wilt spinach in a large saucepan with a lug of olive oil.
- Serve out spinach, then add pumpkin, crumble the feta across the top, add walnuts.
- Finish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and olive oil.