- Dutch oven
- 1 cup Farm Hand Organic Cabernet wine
- 2 cups vegan beef stock
- 12 very small onions whole pearl onions or shallots, peeled
- 300g brown mushrooms cut into quarters
- 300g button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 2 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 20 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into large 3cm pieces
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red capsicum diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup vegan beef broth
- 1 cup Farm Hand Organic Cabernet
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- olive oil for cooking
- thyme extra, for garnish
- mashed potatoes to serve
- Place onions, carrots, bay leaves and thyme into a tupperware container or large bowl. Add 1 cup of red wine and 2 cups of beef broth. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, for at least 10 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Drain the marinated vegetables, bay leaves and thyme. Reserve the marinade liquid. Separate the onion, carrots, bay leaves and thyme as they will be cooked separately.
- Place porcini mushrooms in a medium bowl and add 1 cup of hot water to rehydrate for 20 minutes.
- Heat generous lug of olive oil in Dutch oven over high heat. Add onions and sauté until there are golden patches. Remove to a separate bowl.
- Add more olive oil as needed, then add fresh brown and button mushrooms. Sauté until all liquid is expelled. Remove and set aside with onions.
- Once porcini mushrooms are rehydrated, drain and reserve the liquid. This will be added to the sauce. Finely dice the mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add vegan butter or margarine to Dutch oven. Once melted, add carrot, bay leaves and thyme. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add diced capsicum, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute, ensuring all vegetables are well coated.
- Add flour and stir well to combine. Flour will begin to form a paste.
- Gradually add 1 cup of vegan beef stock, stirring constantly to ensure no lumps form. Then add the reserved marinade liquid, reserved porcini broth, soy sauce and cabernet. Stir well to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place lid onto your Dutch oven and transfer to oven for 60 minutes at 180C.
- Serve over mashed potatoes with a few extra thyme leaves to garnish.