Low Waste Vegetable Crumble
- Dutch oven
- 1 kg mixed hard vegetables, peeled and chopped any combination: potato, swede, parsnip, carrot, celery
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 800 ml canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml water
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 bay leaf
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup plain flour
- 100 g vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 100 g vegan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180C / 356F.
- Heat generous lug of olive oil in dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, stirring for 2 minutes, then add all other vegetables. Add bay leaves, oregano, thyme and a generous pinch of salt and pepper, stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables begin to colour.
- Add flour and tomato paste and stir until all vegetables are evenly coated.
- Add canned tomatoes, water and vegetable stock powder. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make the crumble.
- Add margarine, flour, nutritional yeast and salt to a large mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the margarine into the flour mixture until just combined. Add sunflower seeds and grated cheese and mix until combined.
- Once the vegetables are done cooking, remove the bay leaves. Flatten out the mixture with a spoon and evenly scatter the crumble mixture as a topping.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Allow the crumble to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with a side salad or green vegetables.